Recycled Christmas Snowman Craft is a quick and easy Christmas craft for kids! Make a recycled snowman or make a village of snowmen by recycling plastic bottles and milk jugs into cute little snowman. This Christmas craft is a great way to make use of all the plastic bottles hanging out in the recycling bin and upcycle into a holiday decoration.
There are a few ways to make this Christmas craft and the quickest is to visit the Dollar Store for a white plastic table cloth. No two snowmen are alike and it is great fun to see the creative snowmen made by each different crafter.
How To Make Recycled Christmas Snowman Craft
Plastic container of your choice (size depends upon the size of snowman)
Recycled Stuffing materials (see below)
Old scrap fleece or fabric
Glue gun/craft glue
Strong tape such as packing or shipping tape
White plastic table cloth (one cloth will make many snowmen)
Materials For Base Of Snowman
- Plastic beverage jug
- Drink bottles
- Mini drink bottles
Materials To Make The Body
- Packing materials
- Packing Paper
- Old Tissue Paper
- Bubble Wrap
How To Cover The Recycled Snowman
There are a few ways to cover the snowman, but I’d recommend sticking with the white plastic table cloth. The table cloth is easy for kids to work with and easily found at the dollar store.
- Clean out the inside of the plastic milk gallon container or any bottle and dry.
- Decide upon how ‘plump’ the snowman will be when complete.
- The snowman needs to be very plump the length of the snowman as the waist will be made with rubber bands.
- Begin wrapping the plastic container by covering the container in layers of the wrapping.
- For these snowmen I used newspaper and pieces of old bubble wrap.
- I began by using a few sheets of newspaper and wrapped the entire plastic jug up to the opening of the mouth. The newspaper was taped to the container.
- I then took pieces of recycled bubble wrap and brought out the glue gun. I glued the bubble wrap to the newspaper and began molding the shape of the snowman.
- Make the head of the snowman by crumpling material into a ball.
- Make an opening at the bottom of the ball to insert the top of the plastic jug.
- Add the ball and tape the ball to the jug.
- A white plastic tablecloth. Tissue can also be used, however the snowman will not be as durable. If using tissue a few large pieces will cover the snowman.
- Use a rubber band to make the neck of the snowman. This will be covered with a scarf later.
- Gather the extra white tablecloth material at the top of the head and make a poof! by securing with a rubber band.
- Cut off excess of the poof and fluff the poof by gently pulling the edges outward.
- Now the fun begins be decorating the snowman with the traditional buttons for the body and mouth.
- Place the googly eyes first then the triangle nose then the mouth.
- Place the buttons on the body.
- Cut out a piece of fleece to make a scarf and wrap around the neck.
- Juice box straws can be used for the arms if desired.
- Keep the upcycling going!
How To Make Googly Eyes Stick!
Oh those darn googly eyes. They can make the craft, but can be slippery little devils. I found four tried and true ways to make googly eyes stick for crafts. I prefer the googly eyes that come presorted by size in a box! So much easier to craft than sifting through a bag of googly eyes!
Dollar Store Christmas Craft Ideas
Any holiday can use a recycled decoration! I never know what is lurking in the house that can be made recycled into a craft. Fall cleaning is a perfect time to set aside materials to make homemade Christmas crafts.
Toilet Paper Roll Christmas Popsicle Stick Vase