When it comes to crafts I am a definite fan of the dollar store! The dollar store offers wonderful savings to make homemade Christmas gifts, stocking stuffers and brighten your home with Christmas decorations. The Christmas Potpourri is a practical homemade gift which can easily be made with materials from the dollar store and will not break the holiday budget.
A jar of Christmas Potpourri will not only last for years, but will last for decades! This is an “oldie but goodie ” craft to introduce to new generations of crafters and is perfect to personalize with the recipients’ favorite potpourri scent. If you are a fan of Christmas Mason Jar crafts this is a craft for you!
How Do I Make My House Smell Like Christmas ?
The Christmas Potpourri will!
- Choose your favorite scent of potpourri.
- Choose a decorative glass container.
- Add battery operated white fairy lights.
- Add the potpourri.
- Turn on the lights and enjoy the Christmas aroma.
How To Make Christmas Potpourri
Check your local dollar stores first for the materials and a little strategic dollar store shopping will yield nice money saving rewards. Dollar stores frequently rotate products so stock up if you find the materials.
1 glass vase, container or mason jar
Micro Christmas lights, battery operated preferable.
Doily is optional, or any transparent fabric swatch
- Clean and dry the glass container or mason jar.
- Insert the micro Christmas lights by holding the lights above the jar. Gently and loosely dangle the lights in the jar and begin slowly pouring the potpourri into the jar so the lights and potpourri intermingle and mix.
- I have found this is the easiest method to ix the potpourri and lights as an even mixture of lights and potpourri is achieved; but however you choose to layer the lights and potpourri will work as there is no definitive method.
- Cut the ribbon to desired lengths to wrap around the mouth of the jar or vase.
- Adding a doily is optional depending upon the look you want to achieve. If desired lay the doily on top of the jar and gather the doily at the mouth of the jar and secure with ribbon.
Turn the lights and enjoy the soft aroma of the Christmas Potpourri as the lights will warm the potpourri to generate a lovely aroma.
Personalize With Potpourri Scents
I like to match the scent of the potpourri with a scent I know the recipient loves. Lavender potpourri, spice potpourri, Christmas mix potpourri and even unscented potpourri work very well. You can easily make these assembly line style and this is a child friendly family craft great for co-workers, neighbors and anyone who loves potpourri.
Unscented potpourri can be used in case of allergies or add a few drops of Christmas scents essential oil to personalize the Christmas potpourri. Store your Christmas potpourri in a sealed bag for future use and then reassemble at Christmas. If securely sealed the potpourri will keep for years; I kid you not! My family still has one made by our neighbor from over 20 years ado!
Day One: Personalized Reindeer Gift Tags
Day Two: Easy DIY Lottery Ticket Tree
Day Three: Popcorn Wrapper Snowmen
Day Four: DIY Christmas Candle At The Dollar Store
Day Five: Edible Christmas Vegetable Tree
Day Six: Christmas Candy Cane Sleigh
Day Seven: Christmas Potpourri At The Dollar Store
Bonus Craft: Walnut Shell Reindeer Ornament