If you craft for Christmas then you have alot of felt remnants. If you are helping your kids make Christmas Crafts then you have ALOT of leftover pieces of felt. What to do with all those oddball pieces of felt? Make a Felt Reindeer Ornament of course – or make a herd! This is a great little Christmas craft for young kids.
The Felt Reindeer Ornament is very flexible and adaptable: any color felt works and the cutting does not have to be precise. An “ish” works fine when cutting the felt so younger kids can make this Christmas craft with a little adult supervision. I have included a rough sketch of a free reindeer ornament pattern below with directions.
Materials (Dollar Store Friendly Craft Supply List)
Glue gun or craft glue
Scrap ribbon or cord
Red pom poms ( I love this package of assorted pom poms and the googly eyes are included!)
Brown Pipe Cleaner
Free Reindeer Ornament Pattern
To begin the Felt Reindeer Ornament a rough sketch of the ornament is needed. The Felt Reindeers can be made in any size desired and once one is made you will see it is very easy to hand draw the reindeer base.
How To Make the Felt Reindeer Christmas Ornament
- Download the pattern and cut out the Reindeer head from felt.
- Cut out two ears from the felt.
- The dotted lines on the pattern are guidelines of where to glue the ears.
- Lay the felt reindeer head flat on a table.
- Glue on the felt ears, nose and googly eyes. Reindeer Tip! It is easier to glue the ears and nose on first which makes gluing the eyes in the correct spots easier!
- Make the Felt Reindeer Ornament antlers.
- Attache the bell to one pipe cleaner by stringing the bell through the pipe cleaner.
- Now bend one pipe cleaner in half and make a V shape with the bell at the bend.
- Twist the pipe cleaner once at the top of the bell to secure the bell to the pipe cleaner.
- Now attache the antlers/bell to the reindeer head.
- The antlers will be glued inside the ornament/reindeer head.
- Flip the decorated reindeer head over.
- On the side of the head WITHOUT decorations, lay out the antlers on top of the back of the head.
- The open section of the reindeer head will have the reindeer antlers threaded through.
- Match the bell to the end of the reindeer V (or nose).
- Glue the antlers to the inside of the reindeer head.
- While the glue is drying, cut a strand of cord or ribbon and make a loop long enough to hang the Felt Reindeer Ornament.
- Glue each end of the loop along side the pipe cleaners on the inside of the reindeer head.
- Whew! Almost done. This seems like alot of steps for young kids, but this is one of those Christmas Crafts for kids that it takes longer to write out the directions then actually make the craft!
- FLIP the front of the reindeer head to the front and press so the two sides of the reindeer head adhere and hold the reindeer antlers and ornament hanger. Bend and adjust the reindeer antlers to look like curvy antlers.
- Make a bow and attach behind the bell. Done!
More Reindeer Crafts