This is a fun and easy Christmas craft and perfect for the last minute Christmas crafter! Repurpose your old buttons (who doesn’t have many, many of those in the craft closet!) into a Christmas Button Vase. A fun to make and fun to decorate Christmas craft for kids and adults.
3-5 Christmas theme buttons
Red and green M & M’s for the “water
How To Make Christmas Button Vase
This is a very very easy homemade Christmas Craft. The fun part is choosing which buttons to make your Christmas flowers!
Any clear glass container will work as the flower stems (floral wire) will be sized to the container. The glass container I used is actually a decades old olive oil dispenser with the cap removed.
A detailed tutorial is available here – I first made a Valentine’s Day Button Vase last year and liked it so much I made a few for Christmas this year.
- Choose the number of flower stems to be made from the floral wire and the length.
- The length is again determined by the size of the vase and what looks aesthetically good to you! There is no right or wrong size.
- Double the length of each stem, per stem. If a 12 inch long flower stem is chosen, cut 24 inches of wire.
- String each button through the floral wire/stem.
- Twist the wire at the holes of the button to secure.
- Now twist one piece of floral wire over the second piece of floral wire to the end.
- This gives the button/flower a secure stem.
- Rinse and repeat for the number of stems.
- Add “water” to the vase. The amount of water is again personal preference. Anything works – just the appearance of the vase is altered.
- Arrange each stem in the vase.
The gauge of floral wire determines the thickness of the stems; however, if the wrapped look is preferred then pre wrapped floral wire stems can be used.
Christmas Button Vase Water Ideas
For this Christmas vase I used red and green M & M’s for a whimsical twist, but anything can really be used as the water for the vase.
Themed candy decorations, sprinkles
Any material that sparkles is a good choice and can be found at the Dollar Store is a bonus!
More Christmas Crafts