Did I hear reindeer? One of my favorite Christmas craft themes is reindeer! Tis the season of herds of cute crafty reindeer (and quite a few cute and crafty snowmen) making their annual appearance. Crafters and DIY’ers have become so creative with their Christmas mason jar crafts and the ideas are endless! This is a quick and easy Reindeer Mason Jar which can be used as a flower vase, Christmas candy holder or light up your Christmas decor with the warm glow of a homemade Christmas craft.
Latex indoor paint or spray paint, white
Template of design, cut out
Battery operated tea lights (if making an illuminated mason jar reindeer)
How To Make Christmas Reindeer Mason Jar
- Find your design. Search the internet for the silhouette of a reindeer or reindeer head. Clean, simple designs work best. The key search terms are reindeer and silhouette.
- Save the design to your computer.
- Size the design in proportion to the mason jar size. A small 16 ounce mason jar will require a 2.5 inch by 3 inch design centered on the front of the mason jar. For this Reindeer Mason Jar I chose a minimalist, almost abstract reindeer for a whimsical feel.
- Cut out the design. The outline of the entire design is necessary.
- This is the most difficult part! Tape each piece of the design to the INSIDE of the mason jar facing the side of the mason jar to be used as the front.
- With a pencil or marker trace the design of the reindeer on the OUTSIDE of the mason jar.
- Paint the inside of the mason jar and let dry.
- Now paint the traced design on the outside of the mason jar with acrylic paint.
- Let dry.
- Decide if the Reindeer Mason Jar should be illuminated … if yes, see below.
Christmas Mason Jar Gift Ideas
The mason jar is very versatile and can be used as a flower vase or real or faux flowers, a holder for Christmas treats or a container for homemade Christmas cookies or candy. After having so much fun with the reindeer I decided to make a Snowman Mason Jar and then a Scottie Dog Mason Jar as gift containers. Simple clean designs work best to transform a mason jar into a Christmas Mason Jar gift.
How To Make Mason Jar Craft With Lights
To give your Mason Jar Reindeer a warm glow and light up the Christmas decor simply add a battery operated tea light. The tea light can be included with the mason jar if giving as a gift as the Reindeer Mason Jar is dual purpose: a flower vase and a lighted vase.
How To Paint The Inside Of Mason Jar
I have found three ways to paint the inside of a mason jar: spray paint, latex paint and acrylic paint. For the lighted mason jar craft I prefer the indoor latex paint in a light color or white. To learn my tips on painting the inside of a mason jar, click on this tutorial.
Mason Jar Ideas
Game Day Mason Jars