Transform that stash of old buttons and turn the buttons into easy Christmas Button ornaments! These simple DIY Christmas ornaments can be made in under one half hour with only a few materials. Chances are the materials are already in your craft collection and just waiting to be turned into homemade Christmas ornaments.
If you need more materials the Dollar Store awaits for a visit and a perfect place to find crafts for Dollar Store Christmas crafts.
Any design works!
How To Make Christmas Button Ornaments
floral wire or invisible thread
craft glue or glue gun
- Decide if a cinnamon stick or a popsicle stick or both will be the ornament base.
- Choose the buttons – an odd number always works well.
- Make the ornament hanger using scrap ribbon or invisible thread.
- Make a loop approximately four inches long (need 8 inches of thread). Tie a double knot at the end of the loop with the two ends approximately 1/4 inch from the two ends.
- Attach the hanger to the cinnamon stick or popsicle stick first. After making a few ornaments this was definitely the preferred order!
- Decide upon the order of the buttons to glue.
- Glue the buttons. Let dry.
- Ornament is finished!
Make A Button Christmas Tree Ornament
Buttons of similar size and shape
- Use two cinnamon sticks for the base. Wrap the two sticks side by side with floral wire.
- The floral wire will be the “glue” to build the christmas tree.
- A triangle will be made with the buttons.
- Lay out a triangle of the buttons to determine how many buttons are needed in relation to the tree base.
- Make rows of buttons by winding the floral wire through each button and attaching the buttons side by side.
- Then attach each row to the cinnamon sticks by winding the floral wire around the sticks and ending on the back side.
Charms Work Too For Button Ornaments
For this ornament charms were used and the ornament was hung on the tree horizontally. A great filler for the Christmas tree!
I happen to have a few Irish buttons in the stash and used the buttons to make an Irish themed ornament.
Christmas Ideas Using Buttons
My friend gave me a stash of old buttons and a fun little Christmas decoration in the candy cane theme took shape. It was so easy to make and the homemade Christmas decoration fit right in with the mantle decorations.
Materials used were red and white buttons, straight pins and a styrofoam cone.
The size of the cone can be as big or as small as desired or as big or small that the buttons on hand will fill the cone.
The buttons are attached to the cone by the straight pins. It is that easy!
Alternatively the buttons can be glued on (especially if the littles are helping), but the straight pins make this an easy DIY Christmas Decoration with no glue, no muss, no fuss!
Optional: Red or white ribbon can be wrapped candy cane fashion on the cone and secured with glue. Use the ribbon as a guide to glue on the buttons.
More Dollar Store Christmas Crafts