A very easy and very quick Christmas Reindeer craft for kids with materials from the Dollar Store and more than likely from your crafts closet! Use cardboard to make this recycled Christmas Reindeer ornament or Christmas decoration.
How To Make Dollar Store Reindeer Craft For Kids
Sturdy Cardboard (I know you have an Amazon box in your closet!)
Brown or Multi Colored Pipe Cleaners
Ribbon optional (if making an ornament)
Directions – Traditional
- Cut a triangle from the cardboard. I used a 4″ triangle; the base of the triangle was 4 inches wide.
- Tip: Any size triangle works, I found a 4 inch or 3.5 inch triangle works best for ease of wrapping the yarn.
- Take a strand of brown yarn and wrap around the triangle.
- I doubled the yarn as the brown yarn I used was thin. This is supposed to be fun and not test the patience of the yarn wrapper.
- Haphazardly wrap the yarn. The yarn can be a little testy around the points, and the points do not have to be covered.
- TIP: Leave the bottom point where the nose will be glued free of yarn. This will also help make the yarn wrapping easier.
- Tie off the end of the yarn on the backside of the triangle and tuck the end under the existing yarn.
- Make the antlers by using two pieces of pipe cleaners to twist around the clothespins. Any design goes!
- Glue the reindeer nose.
- If you have left the bottom triangle free of yarn then glue the red pom pom to the cardboard. If needed, move the yarn up a bit on triangle to reveal the bare cardboard. This will ensure a tightly glued reindeer nose!
- Lay the triangle flat and glue the two googly eyes.
- Attach each clothes pin as the antler.
- Optional: Tie or glue the ribbon to the back of the reindeer triangle to use if the the reindeer will become a Christmas Reindeer ornament.
Directions – Non Traditional Reindeer
Is that a bedazzled reindeer? Yes. Indeed.
Do you have an artistic child who seems to drift in their own lane when making crafts? This is the perfect little project for the young artist.
Who said reindeer antlers have to be brown! Of course they do not.
Break out the craft stash and bedazzle and bedeck that little reindeer!
This is the bedazzled colorful version of the reindeer. No rules, anything goes with this craft.
The clothes pins can also be painted with acrylic paint if desired for even more colorful antlers or switch out the traditional reindeer nose with a colorful pom pom.
Additional Christmas Crafts To Enjoy