No need to be intimidated by those little ole cabbage rolls. Crockpot Cabbage Rolls to the rescue. This is a crockpot creation, paleo friendly and gluten free recipe I suspect even those on the fence about cabbage will enjoy. (I admit I don’t necessarily covet cabbage except with corned beef for St. Patrick’s Day, but I make an exception for cabbage rolls.) Fire up the crockpot, dive into rolling a few cabbage rolls and your efforts will be aptly rewarded with Grandma’s Crockpot Cabbage Rolls.
This easy breezy recipe serves 6-8. Can be made in a slow cooker or adapted to the stovetop.
- 1 large head of green cabbage
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb lean ground pork
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- ½ white onion, diced finely
- 1-1/2 cups of rice (rice does not need to be precooked)
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 8 oz crushed tomatoes
- 4 oz tomato paste
How To Make Grandma’s Crockpot Cabbage Rolls
- In a large bowl, mix the beef, pork, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Put a large pot of water on the stove over high heat. To prepare the cabbage for rolling, lightly boil it whole and peel the leaves off a few at a time. Cut the core out of the cabbage and place in the pot. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer. As the leaves soften, you can peel them off with a spoon or pair of tongs.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add a tablespoon of coconut oil , add the onion and sauté for 3 to 5 minutes until the onion is translucent.
- Combine the onion and rice with the meat, and mix by hand to incorporate all the ingredients.
- Take a cabbage leaf, concave side up with the stem toward you, and place a large spoonful of the meat mixture at the stem end.
- Then roll forward, fold the sides in and end with the seam down.
- Mix the crushed tomatoes and tomato sauce in a bowl. Put about 1 cup in the bottom of the slow cooker. Lay the cabbage rolls in with the seam side down. Cover with the remaining tomato mixture once the slow cooker is full.
- Cook on low for 5 hours.
No need to be intimidated by rolling a cabbage roll, a little practice and you are good to go!
Veteran cabbage roll makers know that that cabbage rolls are also friendly as a freezer meal and one tip for slow cookers is to use a liner to make the clean up even quicker.