Options to cut the cable cord continue to expand as the marketplace adapts to the desire of consumers to cut expenses and cut the cord to cable television. Consumers continue to rebel against increasing cable television costs versus what they desire in a cable package.
Paying for over the air broadcast stations which were historically free plus cable packages which offer many stations but are not the stations consumers wish to pay for or watch has increased the interest in cutting the cord and seeking alternatives.
New this year are the rollouts of Sling TV and the coming soon attractions of HBO NOW and Sony Playstation’s VUE.
Below are the most popular options to cut the cable. Many of the packages are being tweaked as they are rolled out; check the media website to review the latest offerings and prices.
Sling TV by Direct TV
- $20 per month
- Add on packages for $5 each news, sports, special interest stations
- 16 channels
- No over air broadcast channels
- No recording of shows
- One stream per tv at a time
Full review of Sling TV available here
- $6 per month
- Live programming in 14 markets including suburbs
- Full and partial season access to CBS series depends upon the show
- No app to stream programming
Sony Playstation Vue
- 3 city trial in NYC, Chicago, Philadelphia
- Live access to CBS, NBC, Fox programming
- 50 channels for $50 a month
- Additional sports, packages additional $10-20 a month
- no ESPN, HBO, Disney, ABC, CW
- On demand available with a 28 day limit
- Playstation required
- Approx. $15 per month
- Access only through a partner. Apple is current partner, requires Apple TV, iPhone or iPad to sign up. Once signed up viewer can watch service through other devices.
- New episodes expect to air in real time through the apps
- On demand includes current and past seasons of shows.
- $8.00 per month
- Next day access to NBC, Fox, CW, ABC programming and select cable channels.
- Restrictions depending upon network. Consult the Hulu Plus rules.
- $9.00 per month
- House of Cards original programming and same season access to original shows. Past seasons of television shows and movies comprise remainder of library.
- $8.25 per month
- Not available on Apple TV
- Original shows and programming access.
- Older movies and television seasons, some restrictions or partial seasons.
A La Carte Options To Cut The Cable Cord
The above options offer consumers pay per month options to cut cable cord. Select station packages which are combined with the free over the air broadcast offered via digital over the air broadcast. Your location, your television and the strength of the digital signals in your area will dictate if a digital antenna is necessary; many newer TV’s have an adequate digital antenna included. Consumers can check the strength of digital stations in your area through the FCC and it’s digital reception map.