Fall Prevention Awareness Day (FAPD) is fast approaching! Celebrated on the first day of Fall each year this is an awareness campaign gaining momentum throughout the United States and continues to improve its’ reach and mission. According to the National Coalition on Aging (NCOA) an older adult visits the emergency room every 11 seconds for a fall related injury of which many are preventable.
Fall Prevention Awareness Day is a nationwide effort to increase fall awareness and prevention by the NCOA. Prevention of falls is the emphasis of the movement to avoid what can be very serious consequences of an older adult falling.
Both caregivers and those being cared for can help prevent unnecessary falls by keeping in mind the following basics by the NCOA:
- Participate in an exercise program to increase balance and flexibility.
- Keep your health professional informed of any falling concerns and seek their input.
- Monitor all medications with your medical professional and pharmacist.
- Regularly check vision and hearing.
- Evaluate your home and remove any possible fall hazards.
- Involve the family and ask for assistance when needed.
More Fall Prevention Awareness Day Resources
Images and resources courtesy of the NCOA
Infographic: 6 Steps To Prevent A Fall
Osteoporosis And Falls Fact Sheet