Oh so soothing! Oh so natural! and Oh such a great way to combine essential oils with your garden basil to make homemade basil face cream.
If your garden is like mine, I know basil is always one of the most robust herbs in my garden. My basil plants grow and grow and grow! I don’t have enough recipes to use all my garden basil.
Basil Is An Adaptogen
Mother Earth News delves into the health benefits of Holy Basil of which their are many! One of the best health benefits of basil is the basils’ membership in the adaptogen family.
Adaptogens are stress reducers and are reported to battle the constant fight or flight symptoms found in todays’ busy society by targeting the adrenal system as a whole. Who doesn’t want to reduce stress! Bring on the adaptogens!
But do they really work? Adaptogens have become so popular the New York Times delved into the history and current uses of adaptogens in its’ article “What Are Adaptogens?
How To Make Basil Face Cream
- 1/3 cup fresh basil leaves and stems
- 1/3 cup witch hazel
- 1 tsp. almond oil (or your favorite oil)
- 2 tsp. Shea Butter (or your favorite butter)
- 1.5 tsp Emulsifying Wax
- 7-10 drops rosehip essential oils
- Homemade basil face cream is easiest to make with a food processor.
- Combine witch hazel and your fresh basil leaves and blend together.
- The mixture is now green. Strain the witch hazel mixture into a half-pint canning jar, until you have ¼ cup of basil liquid. If you are short of the 1/4 cup simply add water.
- Add to your microwavable bowl: Shea butter, Almond oil and emulsifying wax.
- Melt by heating in 30 second increments until melted and smooth.
- Now add the basil mix to the butter mix and slowly stir together.
- Allow the basil mix to cool and thicken.
- After fully thickened add 7-10 drops of Rosehip Essential Oil. If your skin is dry add 10 total drops.
- Once fully thickened and cooled the mixture is ready to pour into half pint storage jars and seal.
- Shelf life in the refrigerator is two weeks.
Is Basil Face Cream An Anti-Aging Cream?
I have seen Basil Face Cream associated with anti aging. Does my face like this cream? It does.
Would I say the cream is an anti-aging cream? My opinion is that as much as we’d like creams to reverse aging gravity usually wins against any cream; but softening skin particularly as aging occurs can help the cause!
This is not to say creams which are compatible with your face are not helpful to soften the effects of aging. I love the ability to naturally combine my garden basil with essential oils for a DIY Basil Face cream which is practical, affordable and useful.
What Else Can I Use Rosehip Oil For?
Rosehip oil is made from the seeds of rose plants and has a reputation for healing your skin to due its’ antioxidants and fatty acid content.
Let’s look to the scientific community for their studies on rosehip oil and their conclusions; an informative and interesting report on the Therapeutic Applications of Rose Hips from Different Rosa Species delves into the various benefits of rosehip oil from skin moisturizing, inflammatory diseases, to diabetes.
The report is a recommended read for those considering using rosehip oil.