I am frequently asked how to make plarn and to demonstrate how to make plarn. I have turned quite a few plastic bags into sleeping mats for the homeless and have upcycled and recycled a multitude of plastic bags along the way!
Is It Difficult To Make Plarn?
It is not difficult to make a ball of plarn; however, be forewarned plarn projects to take alot of plastic bags. It is difficult to calculate the number of plastic bags to make any plarn project because of all the variables. The thickness of the plastic bag, the gauge of creator, the size of strands cut and the size of the plastic bags. If you are planning on making a plastic bag into sleep mat for the homeless then plan on 500-700 plastic grocery bags per mat.
Learning how to make a plarn ball is one of those projects that takes alot of words, but in reality once you make a few strands you have the AHA! moment when reading the directions. The directions make it sound more complicated than making a strand of plarn actually is.
Video Tutorial How To Make Plarn
I made a quick video to demonstrate how to make plarn. Written directions are included below.
Top Five Plarn Tips
- Test your gauge! Just like you do when knitting or crocheting.
- Do not be afraid of the plarn! The strength of each strand of plarn depends upon the type of plastic bag, but …
- unlike yarn, if a plarn strand breaks simply repair by tying a knot. The knot can easily be worked in the project.
- Any plastic bag works. No need to restrict plarn to grocery bags; dry cleaning bags and trash bags work great!
- Can you use a design? Of course! Plan ahead with the colors and quantity of your plastic bags so the desired balls of plarn are available.
How To Hold A Plarn Drive
Where do you find hundreds of plastic bags? You would be surprised how many cupboards in the neighborhood are hiding a bevy of plastic bags! Learn my tips and hints when holding a plarn drive so you won’t be overrun with plastic bags when you put out the word! Planning and organization is the key and your efforts will be rewarded when your first sleep mats are made and delivered.