Here in the midwest it is STILL winter. We are crawling our way to St. Patrick’s Day through snow and ice and cold. A wee bit of spring is on the horizon, but we are still a bit stir crazy from being inside so much the past months. The Popsicle Stick Leprechaun is a fun, easy and quick kids craft for St. Patrick’s Day.
A quick trip to the Dollar Store for popsicle sticks and a quick trip to the craft stash for magic markers makes this a 15 minute craft for kids of any age to participate in St. Patrick’s Day.
MATERIALS Popsicle Stick Leprechaun
Popsicle sticks, any size
Craft glue or glue gun (My favorite craft glue is Weldbond)
Optional: scrap felt or foam paper
This is a flexible craft. Any size of popsicle sticks or craft sticks will make the Popsicle Stick Lepruchaun. We used 11 sticks for this hat.
- Color the popsicle sticks with magic markers to make the color of the hat. Or use colored popsicle sticks!
- Lay two popsicle sticks horizontal on a flat surface. These are the crossbars.
- Lay two horizontal popsicle sticks across the bottom of #1 above, stacked one on top of the other to make the brim of the hat. Glue.
- Lay 7 sticks vertically across the two horizontal popsicle sticks. Check the spacing so that the two horizontal popsicle sticks do not stick out the sides. These sticks make the hat and the bottom of the sticks should be flush with the top of the hat brim.
- Using a scrap piece of black felt or foam paper, cut a piece to make the top of the brim of the hat.
- Using a scrap piece of yellow felt or foam paper, cut a square to make the buckle.
- Glue the black brim.
- Glue the yellow buckle on the middle of the black brim.
- Let dry.
No need to be perfect! This is a kids craft for St. Patrick’s Day and each child can cut at their own level.
Happy St. Patrick’s Day!
More St. Patrick’s Day Fun … 7 Days Of St. Patrick’s Day Food & DIY