Celebrate the summer with this oh so easy, oh so yummy and oh so addictive Patriotic Puffcorn snack that your guests will love. Each time I serve this treat it practically disappears before I’ve had a chance to refill the bowl. To which I silently say… “step away from the puffcorn and give me a chance to refill the bowl!”
What’s not to love! It is a make ahead no bake snack that is affordable, portable and did I mention addictive already?
Patriotic Puffcorn Ingredients
1 bag of Puffcorn
1 bag Wilton’s white candy melts or white chocolate or almond bark
Decorations, sprinkles, jimmies
I know right? You are thinking where are the rest of the ingredients? That is the best part of the recipe, low labor, low cost and big reward!
*For the patriotic puffcorn theme I could not find red white and blue sprinkles locally, so I ordered the star sprinkles online and will use the stars for all summer events and cupcakes.
- Cover a baking sheet with parchment or wax paper. I use two baking sheets for one bag of corn as to not to crowd the corn on the baking sheet. Melt the white candy or chocolate in the microwave. Sacrebleu – melting chocolate in the microwave. You bet! For this recipe it works just fine.
- Drizzle melted white candy over the puffcorn. I use a wooden spoon and gently drip the melted chocolate by moving the spoon back and forth and letting the chocolate “gently” fly off the spoon. You aren’t trying to cover the puffcorn, just add enough chocolate to enhance the puffcorn.
- Bring out the decorations! I used patriotic red white and blue stars for the summer version of this recipe. Gently sprinkle and visually judge what looks aesthetically pleasing to you.
- Very important! Put the trays into the refrigerator to set the chocolate on the patriotic puffcorn.
- It only takes about 10 minutes.
- Remove trays from refrigerator and break apart the puffcorn into snackable sizes.
- Store puffcorn in a tightly closed container until serving.
Humidity Tip: If you happen to live in an area such as I do that is prone to high humidity whether it be the norm or summer storms passing through Puffcorn or Puffed Corn is not the most friendly if left uncovered. Tightly cover the puffcorn – or- I’ve found keeping the puffcorn in the refrigerator in a tightly closed container works great to preserve the topping and the integrity of the puffcorn in humid weather.
I don’t recommend storing the puffcorn in a container with plastic wrap, a closed container works the best. When preparing to serve the puffcorn, it is fine to put the puffcorn in a bowl or cover with plastic wrap while waiting for guests to arrive, but for longer term storage a closed container is recommended.
What is Hulless Puffcorn and What Type Of Puffcorn Can I Use?
Puffcorn is hulless, melts in your mouth and tastes like popcorn.
Any type of plain or butter flavored puffcorn works for this recipe. I prefer the Chester’s Puffed Corn and Chester’s Butter Flavored Puffcorn (made by Frito Lay) which by itself mimics the taste of movie theater popcorn – yum!
But any brand of puffcorn will work. Easily found brands are Chester’s Puffcorn, Better Made Puffcorn, Old Dutch Puffcorn, Herr’s Puffcorn. I have found puffcorn at the local big box supermarket and 7-11 frequently carries it too.
Child Friendly Patriotic Puffcorn
This is a child friendly recipe to involve the kids or grandkids. They can easily participate in decorating the puffcorn and of course enjoying the final creation.
Melting the chocolate should of course be either done by adults or with adult supervision; older children can participate in drizzling the chocolate on the puffcorn as well as decorating.
Holiday Friendly Puff Corn
One of the best features of this recipe (besides the taste) is the adaptability for any holiday or event. Simply change up the colors or themes of the decorations and the puffcorn fits right into to any event.
For the Christmas holidays I particularly like Wilton’s six pack of Christmas sprinkles which gives a nice selection of sprinkles, jimmies and red, green and white decorations. The puffcorn combined with Christmas colors is a great combo and can be used for potluck, Christmas parties or part of your home made Christmas treat package we give to neighbors and friends.
Enjoy the summer and enjoy your puffcorn!
Red White Blue Recipes