What is more patriotic than the iconic combo of chocolate and peanut butter? One more easy, quick and did I mention deeelicious recipe for summer. I use the term recipe loosely which is why I love this ‘recipe’. This is a copycat recipe for the infamous Girl Scout Peanut Butter Patties.
Even easier, the ingredients were already on hand and voila! 4th of July picnic here I come. This recipe will accompany my Patriotic Puffcorn recipe for the holiday weekend. The main ingredients can be used in each recipe.
There are two versions of this recipe: quick and easy and really quick and easy.
This version is the really quick and easy as I used packaged cookies. I’ll also include the slightly more labor intensive version I use year round.
- Your favorite peanut butter sandwich cookie (I used Mini Nutter Butter cookies)
- Melting candy or chocolate (In this recipe I used Wilton’s white melting candy and chocolate melting candy)
- Decorative sprinkles ( I am using red white and blue decorative star sprinkles for the summer season)
- Mini pedestal cups (optional)
Preparation Of Patriotic Peanut Butter Patties
- Line a baking sheet with parchment or wax paper.
- Melt your chocolate or melting candy either in a microwave or double boiler. I find the microwave works just fine for this recipe. Of course melting chocolate in the microwave can be slightly testy – use moderation and start with 30 second increments depending upon the strength of your microwave and amount of chocolate.
- Dip each cookie in the chocolate. Lay on parchment paper.
- Decorate with sprinkles. For the patriotic theme I used red white and blue sprinkles.
- Put tray into refrigerator to set, 10 minutes is usually sufficient.
Remove, store and enjoy! That’s it!
To add a little presentation, I used plastic mini pedestal cups I had on hand purchased from the local party favor store.
Very portable and easy to transport to an event. If you are concerned about heat or humidity, you can easily store the cookies and/or decorative glass in the refrigerator.
The Quick and Easy Version
This version very closely mimics the original Girl Scout Peanut Butter Patties. It is slightly more labor intensive, but the flavor is wonderful.
Ritz crackers and peanut butter is used instead of a packaged peanut butter cookie. Simply make peanut butter sandwiches with the Ritz and peanut butter, experience yields that one can be very generous with the peanut butter.
I use this recipe all year round and switch up the decorations or the color of the melting candy. It is very versatile to decorate for any occasion, holiday or event. I’m a big fan of the Wilton six pack Christmas sprinkles for the holiday season.
The six pack provides a nice variety of themed sprinkles, the cookies do not use that many sprinkles and it is easy to customize the cookies with the various themes.
Hope you have enjoyed the recipe and don’t forget to add Patriotic Puffcorn to your menu this summer!
to the menu as well
Red White And Blue Recipes