This icing recipe rates an A+ with another + for good measure. There is a reason 2400 + positive reviews are spot on.
This is the best recipe I have discovered for decorative icing. A game changer for icing sugar cookies which produces bake shop results. This is a wonderful alternative to the classic Royal Icing without the use of egg whites or meringue powder. It can be easily tweaked for your preference regardng taste, consistency and use. Whatever your decorating style, this recipe can fill the role and you will love the results.
This is my favorite recipe to decorate Christmas cookies! Whether you flood the cookies with icing or paint the cookies this icing sets beautifully with a glossy finish. After the icing has set you can store your decorated Christmas cookies without worries of the icing not holding up or the decorations being altered when the cookies are stacked.
Ingredients Sugar Cookie Icing
One of the best features of this recipe is that only a few ingredients (which are more than likely already on your shelves) produce fabulous results.
I found this recipe on our friend All Recipes, click here for Sugar Cookie Icing Recipe.
The secret ingredient is ta daaaa – light corn syrup. This is a new ingredient to me for use in your classic icing and I found the results amazing.
The reviews also mention a few great substitutes for corn syrup. Vanilla or almond extract is in the original recipe; reviewers found amazing results with lemon extract and other flavoring depending upon your preference.
Tips For Best Icing To Decorate Cookies
I definitely recommend reading the reviews for this recipe to pick up some wonderful do’s, dont’s and maybes.
- Adjust consistency with milk only, not corn syrup
- Double the recipe
- Use clear vanilla extract for a true white icing
- The recipe does require adjusting the milk measurement depending on your desired consistency.
- Add milk to sugar, not the opposite when mixing
- Ingredients already on your shelves
- Allows stacking of cookies once dried
- Shiny and glossy finish
- Flavor can be easily adjusted by your choice of flavored extract
- Cookies can be stacked and icing holds firm
- No egg whites
- Shelf stable
- Consistency can be easily adjusted
- Food color friendly
- Makes a small amount, will need to at least double for a average size batch of cookies
- If you like to flood your cookie with icing and then decorate (or not!) the consistency of this recipe is well suited.
- Perfect for the holiday baking season – I can’t wait to begin decorating!
I highly recommend this recipe, I doubt you will be disappointed.