Chicken pot pie is one of my ultimate comfort foods. Add a double crust to this easy chicken pot pie recipe and double the crust, double the comfort!
This chicken pot pie recipe can be made with fresh vegetables and homemade pie crust or make it even easier and quicker with store bought ingredients that are ready to go. Twenty minutes to make and one hour to bake and you will be rewarded with a double crust chicken pot pie all will enjoy.
Ingredients Double Crust Chicken Pot Pie
Prep of 20 minutes, cooking time 1 hour
- 6 boneless chicken breasts cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 ½ cups frozen mixed vegetables or fresh
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms (optional)
- 1 cup diced potato peeled (if you are a tater lover, add more!)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- ½ cup dry white wine ( see below for non alcohol substitutions)
- ½ teaspoon dried parsley
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) an of cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 cup (4 oz) shredded cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup sour cream
- Pie Pastry of your choice, store bought or homemade
- 1 egg yolk lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon milk
Directions – How To Make Pot Pie Filling
- Add two tablespoons of butter to a large skillet on medium high heat. Cook chicken and onion in butter until chicken is browned and the onion is tender.
- Stir in celery, mixed vegetables, mushroom (optional), diced potato, chicken broth, white wine, parsley, pepper and bay leaf.
- Bring ingredients in the skillet to a boil. Cover and reduce heat.
- Simmer 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Discard the bay leaf.
- Mix cornstarch and 2 tablespoons of cold water. Stir until smooth.
- Now add the water & cornstarch to the ingredients in the skillet. Bring to a boil over medium heat and stir constantly.
- Remove from heat and stir in the undiluted soup, cheese and sour cream.
- Roll half of pot pie pastry and fit into an ungreased pie pan or casserole dish.
- Spoon chicken mixture into the dish.
- Place remaining pastry over chicken mixture. Trim edges of pie pastry, seal and crimp edges. Cut slits into top of pastry .
- Combine the egg yolk and 1 tablespoon milk and lightly brush over pastry top.
- Protect the edges of pastry with aluminum foil to prevent singing the pot pie pastry edges.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 35 minutes or until golden brown.
Substitutions For White Wine
Apple juice or grape juice can be substituted for the white wine. Our friends at The Kitchen have provided a list of substitutes for white wine depending upon the use of the white wine. White wine substitutes to deglaze a pan may be different than a substitute as an ingredient.
Turkey Leftovers & Mini Pie Pans
This chicken pot pie recipe can be easily turned into a turkey pot pie with turkey leftovers. While this recipe makes a full size pot pie a little creativity with the pot pie can be turned into four pot pies using mini pie pans.
ADDITIONAL COMFORT FOOD RECIPES