March is THE month in our household because of St. Patrick’s Day. Not only do we so lovingly recall our Irish immigrant grandparents but we celebrate the day with of course corned beef, green parties and St. Patrick’s Day crafts. The St. Patrick’s Day Shamrock Button Vase is a quirky and fun way to give a homemade gift to honor your favorite leprechaun.
Many of the materials can be found at the Dollar Store or hiding out in your crafts stash. Practically anything can be a vase so that too is probably already in your house.
Materials Shamrock Button Vase
Mini white vase or small glass vial
Buttons of your choice, no shank button are the easiest
Wire cutters or sharp scissors
This is an easy and quick DIY.
- Choose your vase or clear vial of your choice.
- The floral wire should be cut double the desired finished length.
- Insert and thread the floral wire through one hole of the button.
- Position the button to the halfway mark of the floral wire.
- Insert and thread the floral wire through the second hole in the button.
- Turn over the button and twist each of the floral wires tightly together.
- To make the stem: Hold one piece of floral wire straight and then twist the second floral wire around the first wire while moving down the straight wire. The twisting of the floral wire can be as tight or as loose and you desire.
- Fini! One flower and stem of your St. Patrick’s Day Shamrock Button Vase is ready to plant.
How To Make Water For Your Vase
Leftover tinsel from Christmas makes a frugal filler for your St. Patrick’s Button Vase! Simply cut your tinsel into small pieces to make the ‘water’ if you are using a clear vase. I mixed tinsel and green confetti for one vase to add a bit of shimmering color. Green M & M’s make a fun water filling for a larger vase!
Where to Find St. Patrick’s Day Buttons
My first stop for craft materials is always the Dollar Store. My favorite Dollar store always has a section devoted to the current and upcoming holiday. I found shamrock confetti and stocked up on sale tinsel at .15 a pack. As the shamrock buttons are niche I found a few sellers on eBay and found a nice selection of green and shamrock buttons on Amazon.
Decorate your vase with ribbon and enjoy!
St. Patrick’s Day Crafts & DIY
Dollar Store St. Patrick’s Crafts