Broccoli Cheese Pie is a yummy dish which broccoli cheese lovers will adore and can be adapted quite easily for all family members. It is an entrée or side dish all in the family can enjoy and it quick and easy to prepare. Broccoli florets are used and if desired, thaw the broccoli and the stems can be removed which helps make a smoother consistency.
Another tip is to use a food processor to further chop or even puree the semi frozen broccoli florets. Chopped broccoli can be used, but I have found it is beneficial to just use broccoli florets as the stems are less prevalent.
Spinach can easily be substituted for broccoli as well. Fresh broccoli or fresh spinach or frozen broccoli or frozen spinach – all work! This is a basic recipe which can be easily tweaked or spiced up with onion, herbs, or carrots.
The recipe can easily be made into a lower fat version and maintains its’ integrity if lower fat milk or skim milk is used.
Ingredients Broccoli Cheese Pie
- 4 beaten eggs
- 1.5 cups milk
- 1 cup shredded or crumbled cheese (swiss, goat, feta) or cheese of your choice
- 1 package Knorr Spring Vegetable Soup & Recipe Mix
- 1 package (10 oz.) Broccoli Florets or fresh broccoli
- 1 frozen deep dish pie crust OR puff pastry sheets
Oven 375 degrees
- Place pie crust in baking dish. Put baking dish on a cookie sheet in case of overflow.
- In a large bowl combine the first 5 ingredients.
- Pour into pie crust.
- Sprinkle extra cheese on top.
- Bake 50 minutes or until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.
Puff Pastry Version Broccoli Cheese Pie
This version does take a bit more labor, but if you enjoy puff pastry, this is a nice variation.
- 8″ square pyrex dish
- One sheet Pepperidge Farm Puff Pastry sheet, thawed
- Roll puff pastry sheet to a size big enough to cover bottom of the pyrex dish and half way up the sides.
- Place puff pastry into pyrex dish
- Prick bottom of crust
- Pour 5 ingredient mixture into dish, sprinkle with cheese
- Bake 45-50 minutes until set.
The recipe can be also be adapted to a lower calorie version by adjusting the type of milk and cheese used. The broccoli cheese pie recipe tolerates tweaking very well and the taste and consistency will not be compromised by using low fat ingredients if desired. We liked this recipe because it can easily the entire family while those on a soft food diet can ignore the crust if desired.
If you liked this Soft Food Recipe … check out more in the series! Or follow us on Pinterest on the Soft Food Recipe board with a huge selection of soft food recipes to try.